Makai Ocean Engineering, Inc. was established in 1973 as a diversified ocean engineering and naval architecture company providing service primarily in Hawaii and the Pacific. In Makai’s early years, we took a technical lead in a number of innovative projects that helped develop a unique set of skills and expertise. Deep water pipeline design for energy applications, marine vehicles and deep water cable installation software development were some of those projects.
Today Makai’s services have greatly expanded, and we are more global in nature. Our clients are found throughout the world. Makai has developed a broad spectrum of engineering expertise and provides services in research and development, design, construction engineering support, construction management, testing, and systems analysis, cable lay planning, analysis and support and other diverse operations in the marine field. Makai takes pride in providing innovative award winning design solutions to complex ocean engineering challenges. Our personnel have extensive engineering, software development and technical backgrounds and are experienced in working on new and unique projects and in the preparation of comprehensive design documentation, specifications, cost estimates, engineering reports and presentations.
Makai has developed a unique and powerful culture where creativity, intelligence, hard work, and independence are celebrated. These values are tempered with respect, humility, flexibility, and an open, cooperative demeanor. Our engineers truly love working here and they feel as though they are part of a carefully selected team of only the very best engineers.
Makai has about 30 employees, with 25 engineers who hold advanced degrees and experience in mechanical or civil engineering, computer science, physical oceanography, physics, and chemistry. We are seeking engineers who want to be the best at what they do. At Makai you’ll have the opportunity to make significant contributions that advance the state-of-the-art of your profession.
We are looking for outstanding people for the following positions:
Applied Math / Physics Software Engineer
Makai’s submarine cable group is looking for a candidate with a strong background in mathematics and physics, and an interest in solving real world problems via numerical modeling and software development. The candidate is expected to write, upgrade, document and maintain a proprietary software to model dynamic physical interactions of cables and bodies in the ocean. This candidate will have the opportunity to shape the future of the world’s #1 subsea cable modeling software, as well as take on challenging problems in computational fluid dynamics, mechanics of materials, and more.
This is a permanent, full-time position in beautiful Waimanalo, Hawaii.
- Develop and apply advanced software models to analyze ocean engineering systems
- Conduct tests of modeling software and write custom code/scripts to evaluate effectiveness and identify issues
- Interface software products with in-house, 3rd party, and Government systems
- Write, edit and review Technical Reports and test results in clear, concise language
- Provide input to technical proposals seeking future research and development funding
- Possession of U.S. citizenship is required.
- Willingness and ability to obtain a Department of Defense Security Clearance is required; persons with clearances that are active or were previously held and currently in good standing are strongly preferred.
- Possession of one or more graduate degrees (M.S. or Ph.D.) in physics, math, or related engineering field is required
- Keen interest in and demonstrated experience developing and applying numerical models to understand, predict and control behavior of complex mechanical systems
- Strong computer programming skills are required, FORTRAN is a plus
- Experience in related fields such as signal processing, autonomous control or machine learning is a plus
- Strong written/oral communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated history of being self-motivated and working with minimal supervision
- High degree of intellectual curiosity, willingness to learn new technical skills and flexibility to support innovative projects that may be initially “out of your comfort zone”
- Practical experience working in engineering, construction and/or at-sea is a plus
- All of Makai’s work is in the ocean or is marine related, thus ocean experience or background is always a plus
Candidates with many of the above qualifications will be most highly considered.
High priority will be given to candidates who are local to Hawaii or have strong connections to the islands.
Makai provides engineers and scientists with interesting and challenging projects, a competitive salary, full health and dental coverage, company matching retirement plans, excellent comp time and vacation policies, a dynamic and innovative company culture, and a beautiful and unique work atmosphere.
Makai participates in the Department of Homeland Security “E-Verify” Employment Eligibility Verification system for all new employees. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
To apply for this position, please email the following two documents to Jose Andres at Jose.Andres@makai.com:
- Comprehensive Resume including your overall GPA in graduate and undergraduate studies, year(s) of graduation, current location, and U.S. citizenship / green card status.
- Cover Letter highlighting how your education, experience and training relevant to this position and why you want to work for Makai Ocean Engineering, Inc.