Makai Ocean Engineering, Inc. was established in 1973 as a diversified ocean engineering and naval architecture company providing service primarily in Hawaii and the Pacific. In Makai’s early years, we took a technical lead in a number of innovative projects that helped develop a unique set of skills and expertise. Deep water pipeline design for energy applications, marine vehicles and deep water cable installation software development were some of those projects.
Today Makai’s services have greatly expanded, and we are more global in nature. Our clients are found throughout the world. Makai has developed a broad spectrum of engineering expertise and provides services in research and development, design, construction engineering support, construction management, testing, and systems analysis, cable lay planning, analysis and support and other diverse operations in the marine field. Makai takes pride in providing innovative award winning design solutions to complex ocean engineering challenges. Our personnel have extensive engineering, software development and technical backgrounds and are experienced in working on new and unique projects and in the preparation of comprehensive design documentation, specifications, cost estimates, engineering reports and presentations.
Makai has developed a unique and powerful culture where creativity, intelligence, hard work, and independence are celebrated. These values are tempered with respect, humility, flexibility, and an open, cooperative demeanor. Our engineers truly love working here and they feel as though they are part of a carefully selected team of only the very best engineers.
Makai has about 30 employees, with 25 engineers who hold advanced degrees and experience in mechanical or civil engineering, computer science, physical oceanography, physics, and chemistry. We are seeking engineers who want to be the best at what they do. At Makai you’ll have the opportunity to make significant contributions that advance the state-of-the-art of your profession.
We are looking for outstanding people for the following positions:
Position Available for Software Engineer/System Analyst
Makai’s submarine cable group is looking for a Software Engineer who has a science, engineering, or math-related background. Candidates should have strong programming skills to perform in-house development, as well as offshore operation of our PC-based subsea cable lay planning, simulation and control software. As part of the software development team the candidate is expected to write, upgrade, document and maintain our proprietary .NET and C++ code and help with customer support issues. When going on at-sea assignments, the candidate will be responsible for installation and operation of our MakaiLay software to manage the cable installations. Appropriate training in the office, as well as at-sea training, will be provided before the candidate is expected to go out on these assignments on their own. This is a permanent, full-time position in Waimanalo, Hawaii.
Important assets for this position include:
- Applicants must have a technical background (e.g., at least an undergraduate degree and ideally work experience in Science/Engineering/Math)
- An ability to think clearly and solve technical problems;
- Strong written/oral communication skills;
- Willingness to adapt to a flexible work schedule;
- Willingness to travel;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Experience with the Windows and Linux programming environment with the aptitude and willingness to learn more;
Specific qualifications include:
- Possession of U.S. citizenship or a green card is required. U.S. citizens preferred.
- Experience in .NET programming and C++ programming is required;
- Experience with GIS applications is highly desirable;
- Experience working on a team project using svn or other code repository systems;
- Experience in reviewing and debugging other developer’s code;
- Good understanding and experience with any cloud services (AWS, Azure);
- Willingness to provide software training to Makai software clients which involves periodic domestic and international travel (usually 1-2 weeks long);
- Willingness to perform data-networking tasks and commissioning/installations of Makai software onboard ocean-going vessels (usually 1-2 weeks long);
- Willingness to perform at-sea assignments to operate MakaiLay software on cable installation vessels (usually 1- 4 weeks long).
- All of Makai’s work is in the ocean or is marine related. Therefore, ocean experience or background is always a plus.
Candidates with many of the above qualifications will be most highly considered.
High priority will be given to candidates who are local to Hawaii or have strong connections to the islands.
Makai provides engineers with interesting and challenging projects, a competitive salary, numerous company benefits, and a beautiful and unique work atmosphere.
Makai participates in the Department of Homeland Security “E-Verify” Employment Eligibility Verification system for all new employees.
To apply for this position, please email the following two documents to Jose Andres at Jose.Andres@makai.com:
- Comprehensive Resume including your overall GPA in graduate and undergraduate studies, year(s) of graduation, current location, and U.S. citizenship / green card status.
- Cover Letter highlighting how your education, experience and training relevant to this position and why you want to work for Makai Ocean Engineering, Inc.
Position Available for Ocean/Mechanical Engineering Intern
Makai is accepting resumes from talented undergraduate or graduate ocean or mechanical engineering students to fill an internship position.
This is a full-time, paid internship, working 40 hours per week during the summer of 2017 at Makai’s headquarters in Waimanalo, Hawaii.
The position is in Makai’s design group which has project responsibilities in the design of autonomous underwater vehicle design and development, physical numerical modeling, Seawater Air Conditioning (SWAC) systems, deep seawater pipelines, and Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion (OTEC) plant components. Within the group, design responsibilities will be varied and the engineer may have responsibilities on multiple projects simultaneously.
The ideal candidate will be a trained ocean or mechanical engineer with strong analytical skills. Qualifications that Makai values highly in candidate engineering interns include:
- Knowledge of Solidworks or a comparable 3D modeling software is required.
- Working knowledge of common analytical software such as Matlab is required.
- Use of Finite Element Analysis (FEA) software such as ANSYS is a plus.
- Ability to think logically and express oneself in verbal and written communication.
- Solid academic background with a high grade point average
- High level of technical curiosity & ability to learn, and apply, new technologies.
- Experience with engineering design and project management.
- Ability to work independently or with minimal supervision.
- Hands-on mechanical skills and knowledge of machine shop practices are a plus.
- Makai’s work is ocean-related, so ocean experience or background is always a plus.
- Strong preference will be given to U.S. citizens.
Makai provides interesting and challenging projects, an innovative culture, and a beautiful and unique work atmosphere.
To apply for the Ocean/Mechanical Engineer position at Makai, submit the following via email to email@example.com: resume (including GPA), and cover letter highlighting how your education and experience meet our needs and why you want to work at Makai.