Makai Ocean Engineering, Inc. was established in 1973 as a diversified ocean engineering and naval architecture company providing service primarily in Hawaii and the Pacific. In Makai’s early years, we took a technical lead in a number of innovative projects that helped develop a unique set of skills and expertise. Deep water pipeline design for energy applications, marine vehicles and deep water cable installation software development were some of those projects.
Today Makai’s services have greatly expanded, and we are more global in nature. Our clients are found throughout the world. Makai has developed a broad spectrum of engineering expertise and provides services in research and development, design, construction engineering support, construction management, testing, and systems analysis, cable lay planning, analysis and support and other diverse operations in the marine field. Makai takes pride in providing innovative award winning design solutions to complex ocean engineering challenges. Our personnel have extensive engineering, software development and technical backgrounds and are experienced in working on new and unique projects and in the preparation of comprehensive design documentation, specifications, cost estimates, engineering reports and presentations.
Makai has developed a unique and powerful culture where creativity, intelligence, hard work, and independence are celebrated. These values are tempered with respect, humility, flexibility, and an open, cooperative demeanor. Our engineers truly love working here and they feel as though they are part of a carefully selected team of only the very best engineers.
Makai has about 30 employees, with 25 engineers who hold advanced degrees and experience in mechanical or civil engineering, computer science, physical oceanography, physics, and chemistry. We are seeking engineers who want to be the best at what they do. At Makai you’ll have the opportunity to make significant contributions that advance the state-of-the-art of your profession.
We are looking for outstanding people for the following positions:
Engineering Project Manager
Makai is interested in receiving resumes from talented engineering project managers to fill an available position. The position will require managing projects in Makai’s design group including responsibility for the technical oversight of and collaboration with team members, technical reporting, and project budgets. Projects include design, development, and testing of unmanned underwater vehicles (UUV), buoys, deep seawater pipelines,and other subsea mechanical and hardware systems. The engineering manager may have responsibilities for multiple projects simultaneously with teams of 3-6 people. The ideal candidate will be an experienced engineer, have a keen interest in challenging R&D projects, and will have strong technical, communication, and analytical skills.
Some limited travel outside Hawaii and aboard contractor vessels may be included. This is a
permanent, full-time position in beautiful Waimanalo, Hawaii available immediately.
Minimum Applicant Requirements:
- Project management experience on highly technical R&D projects with both project management and engineering design and analysis duties (5 years or more). Ocean-related and/or Federal/DoD project experience is a plus.
- Possession of U.S. citizenship is required. Willingness and ability to obtain a Department
of Defense Security Clearance is required. Persons with clearances that are active or were previously held and currently in good standing are preferred.
- Possession of one or more graduate degrees (M.S. or Ph.D.) in ocean, mechanical,
electrical, chemical or related engineering field is required. High GPA is a plus.
- Experience with or working knowledge of computer programming including packages
such as: Matlab, Orcaflex, CFD, SolidWorks, or ANSYS.
- Experience with ocean-related projects, and a demonstrated ability to apply engineering first principles.
Additional Desirable Qualifications:
- Professional Engineering (P.E.) license in a related field is a plus
- Practical experience working at-sea is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to think logically and communicate and present ideas clearly and
concisely verbally and in writing, including for technical reports or technical proposals
for new funding
- High degree of intellectual curiosity, willingness to learn new technical skills and
flexibility to support innovative projects that may be initially “out of your comfort zone”
- Keen interest in and demonstrated experience developing and applying numerical
methods and simulation techniques to understand, predict and control behavior of
complex mechanical systems is a plus
- PhD in a related field is a plus.
Candidates with many of the above qualifications will be most highly considered.
High priority will be given to candidates who are local to Hawaii or have strong connections to the islands.
Makai provides engineers and scientists with interesting and challenging projects, a competitive salary, full health and dental coverage, company matching retirement plans, excellent comp time and vacation policies, a dynamic and innovative company culture, and a beautiful and unique work atmosphere.
Makai participates in the Department of Homeland Security “E-Verify” Employment Eligibility Verification system for all new employees. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
To apply for this position, please email the following two documents to Hermann Kugeler at Hermann.Kugeler@makai.com:
- Comprehensive Resume including your overall GPA in graduate and undergraduate studies, year(s) of graduation, current location, and U.S. citizenship / green card status.
- Cover Letter highlighting how your education, experience and training relevant to this position and why you want to work for Makai Ocean Engineering, Inc.